Warning for those with home security systems...

DDD

We have four adult kids who have home security systems. The oldest came home last week, checked to make sure the system was activated, went into her house and then discovered that a robber had entered their home by cutting a hole in the glass patio door and climbing thru The system didn't activate as the lock was secure.

She lost most of her jewelry and $2500 cash that she had hidden away for use in an emergency. Fortunately she noticed the hole, fled the house and called the police so she was not injured at all.

All of the kids have large doors that are simply plate glass and nobody ever really thought about changing to protective glass. Now they are. Thought maybe some of you might want to heed the warning. It's scarey! DDD

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Wow. Good idea about the glass. Would be horrible to think you're protected and have that happen, and doubtful I'd have thought to change the glass too.

My home security system just costs some kibble, a few scraps from the table, a couple of bones a month, some ear scratches and belly rubs............................and that whole cut the hole in the glass method wouldn't have gotten past either of the inside dogs. :rofl:

KTMom91

Scary thought...glad no one was hurt.

My security system consists of a Jack Russell terrier. I know it's an efficient system, because it's been tested and proven. A crazy woman broke in through the laundry room, pushed open the kitchen door, and got a bite on the calf for her efforts. We got home as she was standing in the yard rubbing her leg.:cool_dog:

DammitJanet

Thats awful! Glad no one was hurt.

People who break in here dont really have to. We know who they are. They dont take anything that we cant find again and then its a problem for them. I guess that is a good thing about living where we do. I do have an alarm dog. He is six pounds of fluffy white fur. No one gets near the house without him going off...lol.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
We have one of those. He will bark his head off... If he hears something unusual.

Problem is, with Onyxx sneaking out so much - that's no longer unusual...

donna723

My four dogs bark their little heads off at strangers and my bigger one is only about 35 pounds but she sounds like a rotweiller when she barks! I always hope that the sound of all of them barking would make someone change their mind and go to a house that doesn't have a whole pack of barking dogs! And I hope that no one can see inside well enough to tell that they're all locked in their crates when I'm not here!

I have a friend whose house has been broken in to multiple times! They both work all day. Their house is right on the road but it's in a very rural area with little traffic, no other houses in sight, acres of woods behind them, and a 15 minute drive from town where the sheriffs office is. They finally ended up with a super security system. They have hidden cameras everywhere, sirens that go off, and the system automatically calls the sheriffs office and both of their cell phones. At least if someone breaks in again, the cameras will be rolling and they will know who it is.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I have a Biker with a Street Sweeper, who has an itchy trigger finger - two 100+ lb bulldogs, a yappy Pootie, and our head kill targets from the range- at one end of the house, an Alarm system, holly and cactus planted under most of the windows...and I sport a 6 shot wheel loader and have PMDD 2 weeks out of 3 you guess which ones.....with a rare attitude for thieves. Plus the interior property line of the woods have been appropriately canvased by an uncle who never really came back from VietNam, and the last time Dude and I had it out in the front yard? We 'sadly' lobbed 8 lb. rocks and bird feeders at each other while yelling extra foul obscenities at each other - so we don't even get the occasional car full of people asking us to keep a copy of the Watchtower or a neighborhood kid wanting us to buy any school wrapping paper. We've often said ''Sane people fear us - Thieves avoid us."

I'll have to look into that 3M glass film though. We should have that just in case. - Gal never can be too careful. Thanks HazOi! Thanks for the heads up D3!

tawnya

so we don't even get the occasional car full of people asking us to keep a copy of the Watchtower or a neighborhood kid wanting us to buy any school wrapping paper. We've often said ''Sane people fear us - Thieves avoid us."

That is soooo true! It's amazing what a couple of "head kill" targets from the range will do! husband also has a sign posted outside that says trespassers will be shot, and survivors will be shot twice.

It has been getting a little more scarey around our neighborhood, though.

I wonder if mother in law's alarm system would "figure" that out with the windows. I know it goes off if the window/door is opened. Maybe I should call tomorrow and find out.

Thanks for the heads up!

LittleDudesMom

So, I have double security - a home security system and a jack russell!!! Not that Spot is totally blind - he's even more sensitive!

But, we don't just have window/door sets, I also have two indoor motion detectors tied to the security system. One in the back space of the house and one in the front space. If anyone got in through an unprotected window, the motion detectors would eventually catch them!

Sharon

Star*

call 911........call 911
It was brought to my attention by my Mom on her last visit that Bulldogs and DF given my chili - are a lethal weapon unto themselves.

I told her "You have no idea." She said twice "I can't understand you." - then I removed the gas mask and said it again.

So true....

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Since we no longer have our big intimidating dog I have thought about going to a trophy shop and buying a trophy for sharp shooting and putting it prominently on display in a window........but that would mean the burglar would have to know how to read????????

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I have one of those little $20 motion sensing alarms. Mine's portable, but it can be mounted. LOUD, too.

They also have motion-sensing barking devices...

TerryJ2

I'm so sorry, DDD. That's scary!

I thought there was a system you could literally wire into the glass or something. Maybe I'm too high-tech and I only saw it in a movie ...

DDD

I'm not sure how they have improved their system but I am positive they have. I do know that the glass with wires is a reality. She's also the only one that does not have a dog....uh...maybe she is deciding the mess of a dog is worth it, lol. DDD

H

HaoZi

There are systems that will activate if glass is broken, not sure if they use vibration detectors, sound detectors, or what. They're expensive though.

Star*

call 911........call 911
We told our neighbor about this - last night he was sitting in his kitchen at 2AM - and a man just walked RIGHT into his house, stood there and said - "My friend has been shot, I need to use your phone to call 911." Neighbor said - "Time to get a security system." - I said um........"Only works if you keep your door locked." duuuuh.....(and he has a dog) - I'm thinking ole Rex is NOT getting extra portions of Gravy Train tonight. WOW.

H

HaoZi

Did you hear about the guy that broke into a place, and he was in the bathroom when the homeowners got home? They both called 911! LMAO

witzend

We had a security system installed when we had the house remodeled a few years back because the sub-contractors were a pretty iffy bunch. They were totally aware that my barking snarling Bubba was a pussycat if you just walked into the door. Mandy the 80 pound lab and Oscar the 50 pound shepherd are the best deterrent at this point.

donna723

My friends whose house has been broken in to multiple times ... they have many, many guns, a whole lot of them. And the last two break-ins that they had - that's all that was stolen - their guns! One was a real collector's item, passed down from his grandfather to his father to him. They pretty well know who's doing it and there have been other break-ins in their area but the police have never been able to catch them at it or to prove that it was them. The cameras should help with that though if it happens again. In their case, it's someone who lives in the area, someone who knows their routine and knows they are both at work during the day, someone who knows their two dogs will bark but knows that they are both very elderly, harmless and friendly. It's infuriating to think that someone can just come in to your home, go through all your things, and just walk out with anything they want!