Limbo

Littleboylost

Long road but the path ahead holds hope.
Lbl. Are either of the 2 books you are reading any good?
One is therapeutic it is very good. It is called Don't Let Your Kids Kill you.
The other is a suspense thriller. A who done it mystery. Called The Woman In Cabin 10. I am dying to find some time to finish reading it.
You meat the WWII story The Nightengale correct?
:reading:

BusynMember

I always thought Canada was more evolved than the U.S. too. But I dont agree with leniency on drug use or not allowing private psychiatrists for those who can pay for them. I mean, the world is never 100% fair and equal. I thought in countries with socialized medicine, which I support, you can still choose a private insurance plan.

I am sending you and your son love and healing light. Good luck!

Littleboylost

SWOT you are prrially correct. The services that are covered are legislated. That is access to certain things like MRIs, Radiation treatment, and physician access. We can not pay to Jim the line for these legislated services.
Dental care (for some), medications (of you are not elderly or poor), and therapists for example can all be accessed throufh third party insurance. It a bit of a confusing system. Or better accommodations in hospital.

I agree if you have the money and want to pay you should be able to. That is called a two tier health care system, and it is not allowed. On a better note all urgent health care issues are covered for the most part, emergency surgery, organ transplant. If you have an organ transplant and can't afford other medications there is a special fund you can access. When is comes to psychiatry and rehab. You can pay for private rehab (very costly), but not for a private physician.
A lot of people will cross the boarder for medical tests like MRIs and angiography instead of waiting for them here.
A lot of basics are covered and the rest is covered by the individual or third party health insurance.

To make things more confusing each province legislates their own health care spending. I think this is an utter waste of money on administrative function. This is a bit stupid for a country with the population equivalent to California.

so ready to live

LBL. After reading your thread, I so admire your effort. The appointments, court dates, etc are enough to make my head spin. I will pray for you as you are really in this for one last shot. At least you will know you have tried all possible...as long as you are strong enough to stop if he violates house rules. He is so young---there is hope.
The never come home nights were so hard for me, our son did not always text and, the sleep it off all day, 2 days later made me angry, boiling in fact. We were not waiting for a bed and our son was much older at the time. That is what ended our housing him though. We realized that we were the only ones making an effort.
I do agree with others regarding detox with a Dr. but it does not seem to be available where you live. We are each different in our approaches to the same goal. I admire your acceptance of the "advice" here, please continue to take it and filter. If you can even find time, do something just for you or you and hubby. The "getting your head out" of the incredible stress is much needed. I really felt as if we were going crazy for awhile. I suppose we were. We get you, keep posting, this is so hard.

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
LBL

You are a rock star. This is all so hard and you are holding it all together!

I think the sober livings here in Chicago are awful. The facility my son is in in S. Florida is just really really nice. The staff is so experienced and knowledgeable. I feel that finding this site which led me to send my son to South Florida was really DIVINE intervention. I had no idea that such a community existed and all in one place. I had come to my knees with my son's addiction. I have been through a lot in life but nothing and I mean nothing prepared me for this fight. My prayers were answered. They say prayers are not always answered the way you THINK they should be - my son can only stay sober for 3 months thus far and my prayers are for his sobriety - but finding the place he needed to be was an answer of sorts. For now.

You have gained so much strength and knowledge so quickly and I applaud you for that. There are SO MANY lost parents trying to find their way through this and it is heartbreaking to hear their stories. And there are so few that come here in realty. It seems like many read but there are so many that do not post. They don't know where to even begin...

We all just want to live a normal life and have our kids happy and healthy and progressing as they should and quit making life harder than it already is.

Littleboylost

Today folks I simply lost my :censored2:. It goes how it goes and that's all I am going to write. I am taking the Forrest Gump amendment on today.

This is such Bullshit. I hate addiction, I hate mixed disorders. I Love my son. Lick my wounds and live to fight another day. God blesss good friends and mothers in arms ❤️

Sam3

I'm just joining the group hug. And I'm glad you found this site. I found it a couple years ago during another night of anxiety fueled insomnia. I have spent many 3ams since finding comfort in these people too.

Sam3

There was a 16 year old Canadian and a 14 year old Brit in my sons inpatient in California, for the very reasons you cite. Mental healthcare system combined with civil rights concepts meant to honor the independence of healthy children, which worked against the struggling.

ColleenB

I am so sorry for all your pain right now. What a nightmare.

I haven't been on the boards in a while as I am back to work and exhausted.... plus son is living out and seems to be sober right now....

I do hope a bed comes available. Soon

As a fellow Canadian it makes me crazy we have to wait for what I think is life or death treatment. Hang in there.

Littleboylost

There was a 16 year old Canadian and a 14 year old Brit in my sons inpatient in California, for the very reasons you cite. Mental healthcare system combined with civil rights concepts meant to honor the independence of healthy children, which worked against the struggling.
If I had the money I would do the same thing.

Littleboylost

Son has been sleeping for 36 hours. I really want to spend some quality time with him. I found it perplexing that he can be away from drugs and be ok; this usually doest last longer than 72 hours. I am concerned that he has more of a mental health issue than a drug problem, and I am afraid that the rehab program is not going to benefit him. But what else can we do?

They do mange mixed disorders in the program he will be attending but they do state stable mixed disorders. Well he has never been drug free long enough for any proper diagnosis. The label is CD for now. Stable!! if he was stable he would need an in patient program.

My mind races and I have to figure out how to stop that from happening. I fear he will not stay in the program, if he doesn't he is choosing his own path and we will not support that or allow him to be at home. At present everything is a challenge and it is just too hard. He is contrary about everything and grateful for nothing.

He actually totally lost it on us because we instituted WIFI blocks, he threatened drug use if we did not remove the blocks, he went on a rampage trying to get onto my husbands computer. He has lost it like this several times over nonsensical things.

We had an intervention with his out patient rehab consellor on Thursday after court. He was off the deep end ( court days are usually like that, this one was far worse).

There is a cross functional meeting next week that will involve legal and professionals dealing with my son to attempt to expedite his rehab bed. I am hoping for the best but preparing for the worst. i honestly don't think he will stay. If not he will be truly truly lost.

The hardest part is knowing we have done all that we can do for him. The rest is up to him.

BusynMember

If he got ahold of benzos, he could overdose and sleep for days. Personally I think it is more drugs than mental health issues. We never kow the sneaky ways they can find and use drugs. Benzos can tire you out for a long time. Doesnt he have a benzo problem?

Regardless, it is never up to us if rehab helps them. It is 100% in their court. Being afraid for him is normal, but doesnt help you or him. Rehabs are a risk, but its better than nothing.

Last edited:

pasajes4

The waiting game is a nightmare to be sure. I hope at some point you can carve out some time for you and husband to go out and relax for an hour or two.