Need some encouragement (another weight loss post)

Californiablonde

Well guess what? I lost two more pounds, making that a six pound total weight loss for the last month. I ended up having two big meals on two different occasions and I gained those two pounds back! I could just kick myself. BUT I am not letting it stop me. I will keep on truckin and do what I gotta do to get this weight off, including doing some extra walking this weekend. I am still moving forward!

Californiablonde

I am SO frustrated right now. This past Sunday my mom took us to Baja Fresh for lunch and I had two chicken tacos, rice, and beans. That darned meal made me gain 2 and a half pounds! So far all I've lost from it is a half a pound. So basically, two steps forward, two steps back. At this rate it will take me years to get this darned weight off. I'm not giving up, mind you, but I'm just frustrated as hell.

JKF

It's the sodium. It's evil. Out of curiosity, I just took a look at the nutritional info on the Baja Fresh website and each chicken taco has 590 mg of sodium, the rice has 663 mg and the beans 553 mg. Thats a total of 2396 mg of sodium in one meal. Definitely enough to cause a few lbs of water weight gain. Don't be frustrated. Just increase your water intake (sounds counterproductive but it's really not), and keep the sodium extra low. And beware bc it lurks in everything packaged! The only way I've ever been successful at losing and keeping weight off is to cut out sodium almost completely and eat extra "clean". Fruits, veggies, lean meat, fresh herbs, whole grains, limited dairy, no sugar, no packaged food, etc. I know it seems overwhelming at times but, like most things, it gets easier the longer you practice. Keep up the good work because you really are doing a great job! It's a learning process and a lifestyle change and it takes time.

Californiablonde

Thanks JFK. Do you happen to know the daily recommended amount of sodium? I have never really counted my salt intake before since I don't like it and never add it to any of the foods I eat. But I know lots of stuff I am eating has hidden sodium in it.

Lil

If you haven't gone to myfitnesspal.com, do so. It'll give you the recommended sodium in the diet stats.

Lil

Eh...I weighed today and I'm right back where I started. Not like I've been trying too hard...but still. :(

Californiablonde

Well now I have another issue. I have been completely constipated for three days now, meaning I haven't gone to the bathroom AT all. I have been dieting religiously and increasing my exercise routine all week and I still gained yet another pound. I don't get it. Could constipation cause weight gain? I have been really working out and eating great this last week yet gaining. ( And I checked my sodium intake on myfitnesspal and I'm within my limits.) I am quite frustrated.

Californiablonde

I am drinking water and diet soda. Maybe I should add some fiber into my diet. I do have a Fiber One bar for breakfast but perhaps it's not enough.

Lil

Lots of water. LOTS. Like 8 cups + per day. And lots of fiber. One fiber one bar is not enough if that's all you are really getting. Veggies, beans, things like that, all important.

InsaneCdn

Fiber should be a significant part of every meal.
Whole grains. Bran. Raw veggies. High-fiber fruits (apples, oranges, mangoes). Dried fruits like raisins and prunes.

Californiablonde

Ugh I am so frustrated right now! I am back to being constipated and I am gaining weight again. I was down to 161.8 and now I'm up to 164.2! I have been following my diet to a T plus exercising 7 days a week instead of 5 and I can't lose! I am eating lots of veggies and taking my daily Metamucil but I am still quite literally full of crap!

I have a box of laxatives that I bought a couple of weeks ago and I will take one as my last resort if something doesn't happen soon. Last time I took a pill on a Thursday night and spent all of Friday at work in pain and constantly running to the bathroom! So I will only take another dreaded laxative as a last resort and this time on a weekend. I really don't want to resort to that, though. Maybe I should just stay off the scale entirely for awhile?!

Lil

I couldn't begin to tell you...but be careful of the laxatives. You can become dependent on them. Benefiber and lots of water is better. Depending on your diet, not everyone goes every day. Missing one day isn't constipation. How many days? Really, stress and diet will upset your system.

How often do you weigh? Don't do it more than once a week. Your clothing is a better indication of how you are doing than a scale is. Muscle weighs more than fat. Getting healthier is often filled with ups and downs.

Californiablonde

I haven't gone to the bathroom in two days and normal for me is once a day every day. I am trying not to worry too much but seriously everybody I know with colon cancer says constipation was a big red flag. Let's just hope I am back to normal by tomorrow so I can finally give my stool sample to the lab. I just want to get it over with!

Lil

Constipation OR diarrhea can be ONE symptom of colon cancer. You're actually MUCH too young for it to be likely.

In just ONE thread, you expressed fear of: Colon cancer, stomach cancer, pancreatic cancer, brain cancer. Really...take a breath. It's very unlikely.

Californiablonde

I was able to give the stool sample this morning so now I'm just waiting on the results. Meantime I did lose a pound since yesterday so I feel better about that. I suppose I should be happy I am not losing weight quickly as that is a possible sign of cancer. I guess if there is something wrong with me it's not too serious. I hope.

InsaneCdn

CB... the biggest thing wrong with you is anxiety and stress. Once you start getting answers to that problem, the others will start going away. Hard to find a really good therapist, but it's worth it. And yes, medications can help, but they don't fix the problem. You need to re-wire your brain.